Saturday, August 12, 2006

WhAT DiD i Do?

That's the question many people ask me when I see them as a counselor, "What did I do?" Quite often that question isn't a question that explores denial, but highlights misunderstanding. It's a misunderstanding of how they feel leading to inappropriate action. It's not something the client would want to do intentionally, but it's a slip up that leads the client to face the consequences. It's a good question; it allows the client to explore where he/she is at. Yet, it's also a plea to the accuser, or the counselor to allow GRACE to flow. GRACE. That word we seldom hear, or seldom practice in a world where it's increasingly becoming 'retribution orientated'. As a people helper, I can administer grace by allowing some breathing space for the client to find himself/herself. I can apply grace by looking at other options to seek restitution....rather than violence, or hatred or racism.
GRACE.
How we need more of it now!
SELAH

No comments: